Blueberry and Peach Cobbler w/Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of black pepper
2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and stemmed
2 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into wedges (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 stick butter, cut into small pieces
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
8 sprigs of fresh mint
shaker of powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a sauce pan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg, and pepper, whisk until smooth.
2. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Place blueberries and peaches in a mixing bowl and pour the syrup over the fruit. Toss well and cool for 10 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/2 cup of flour, 1 cup of oatmeal, and butter. Using your fingers, work the mixture together until it resembles a coarse crumb-like mixture.
5. Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared pie shell. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the fruit filling. Bake for 1 hour, or until the crust is golden. Remove the pie from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
6. Slice and serve warm. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, fresh mint, and powdered sugar.