Bacon-Wrapped Jumbo Shrimp with Smoked Corn & Poblano Pepper Relish
1-2 ounces wood, such as hickory or mesquite, for
6 ears of corn
12 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and
1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
1 cup roasted shallots
1 tablespoon chipotles en adobo
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 medium red onion, diced
1 tablespoon New Mexican mild red chile powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
4 whole poblanos, or other peppers, deseeded and
cut in half
16 bacon-wrapped large shrimp
Garnish: Chile oil, scallion oil*, and fresh cilantro
1. Prepare a grill with the wood, and smoke the corn with 1/2 of the husk removed for 30-40 minutes. Let the corn cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile in a food processor, puree ½ of the garlic, and all of the shallots, and chipotles, then place in a mixing bowl.
3. Add remaining garlic, tomatoes, red onion, chile, and spices.
4. Shave the kernels off of the corn and fold them into the mixture. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Let this relish set overnight in the refrigerator to blend the flavors. Reheat the relish at the time of service.
6. Grill the poblano chiles slightly.
7. Grill the shrimp until it is done.
8. Place pepper halves on a plate, portion equal amounts of relish on them, then place the shrimp on top. Garnish the plate with chili oil, scallion oil, and cilantro. *Specialty oils can be bought prepared, or can be made by blending either finely chopped chile or scallions with oil. Serves: 4