Swimming can be fun and much less dangerous if you follow some basic safety rules.
(NAPSI)-If you’re planning on some fun in the sun this season, you may want to refresh your knowledge of water safety before taking that big plunge.
“Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death among children ages 1 to 14,” noted Bernard J. Fisher, director of Health and Safety for the American Lifeguard Association (ALA). “Most drownings and near-drownings occur in residential swimming pools and in open water sites.”
To help parents and kids keep water safety at the top of their minds, the ALA offers the following tips for safe water fun:
- Always swim near a lifeguard when possible.
- Make sure children wear approved safety life vests.
- Never dive into shallow water.
- Always obey posted warnings, guidelines and rules.
- Always exit the water quickly at the first sign of thunder or lightning.
- Avoid swimming at night or without proper lighting.
- Avoid running, pushing or any horseplay around slippery surfaces or near the water’s edge.
These tips and more are currently available at your neighborhood Kmart location through a water safety campaign that’s being brought to consumers by the ALA, in partnership with Joe Boxer and Kmart. In fact, Joe Boxer is doing the same thing to your pool as they did to your underwear-making it fun. A variety of whimsical water rafts and accessories-all capturing the essence of summer fun-are available exclusively at Kmart.
They include inflatable animal ride-ons, a friendly spider/caterpillar raft that can hold up to three passengers, and a kiddie ride-in float with a built-in seat.
In addition, Joe Boxer offers goggles, kickboards, snorkel sets and a variety of other water accessories and toys to help ensure a fun-filled summer season.
For more information, visit www.kmart.com.