Homeowners can take steps to tackle termites right now. A good first step is a professional termite inspection.
(NAPSI)-Termites could be eating you out of house and home and you might not even know it.
Termites are a problem in 49 out of 50 states. They cause homeowners an estimated $5 billion in damage and treatment costs each year, according to the National Pest Management Association.
That’s the equivalent of thousands of dollars of damage each year per house. While most evident during the swarm season, termites work 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
“Most people do nothing to treat for termites, which can put their homes at risk,” said Lance Walheim, Bayer Advanced™ Garden Expert and author of more than 30 gardening books.
The good news: There is no reason why homeowners themselves can’t kill termites. The destructive pests live in about 100 percent humidity, so a wet spring coupled with a damp, low-lying side of the house could spell trouble.
Spring is a great time to treat for termites as swarm season moves south to north through the country.
Contact your local county extension service to find out when the swarm season occurs in your area.
There are some measures you can take to prevent or tackle termites around your home right now. These help make your home less conducive to termites:
- Fix plumbing and roof leaks.
- Divert water at least 18 inches away from your house with properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks. Also, check your irrigation system so it doesn’t spray the sides of your home.
- Move firewood at least 10 feet away from the foundation of your home.
- Don’t let mulch or soil touch siding on your home. Better yet, keep it about a foot away.
- Prevent wood from touching the ground outside, except if the wood is pressure-treated.
- Seal foundation cracks to help prevent moisture from entering your home.
- Hire a professional to conduct a thorough annual termite inspection.
- Sprinkle new Bayer Advanced™ Termite Killer granules around your home’s perimeter and water in the granules. The special formula penetrates the soil to get to the termites with much less labor than other do-it-yourself products. Termites will be killed with one application.
You can learn more by visiting www.bayeradvanced.com or by calling 1-877-BAYERAG.